Thursday, September 1, 2011

Door to Door Salesmen

So... I have a problem. Door-to-Door salesmen! I've gotten a lot better but I'd like to tell you about an experience I had about 6 months ago. But first a little disclaimer. I was a missionary, who went door-to-door and I also spent the summer in Virginia with my husband door-to-door selling. Okay good, maybe that will help me not look like such a fool!

So, back in March, or was it April? (doesn't really matter) Cory was at school and I was hanging out at home, when all of the sudden a knock came at the door. And I opened it to a large black man who told me this long story about how he grew up in poverty, and he didn't graduate high school, and he had a bunch of kids who grew up in poverty who didn't know any better, and how he'd had a ton of problems with being in jail and drugs and the whole works! He explained he was part of a program that helped people like him to turn their life around a get a job. He said basically what he was doing was selling magazines to get points, and he had to get 10,000 points. When he did this, the magazine company would write him a reference letter and then he could try and get an actual job that would actually pay him. So he was going door to door and not even getting paid for it. NOW! another disclaimer! I would just like to say, after working for a disability law firm, I completely support people like this man who want to change their life around. A LIFE that was probably the way it was because of parents, or even grandparents choices! (I'm really getting going aren't I?) SO I BOUGHT A MAGAZINE FROM THE MAN!!!

Well.... then I called Cory and he says, "RAE! What the heck? You forgot your salesman training! And if you forgot that! Why didn't you fall back on what you learned in DARE in the 6th grade!?! JUST SAY NO!!!" When Cory got home he went off on how I would never see the magazine and that we should probably change our bank account number because I wrote a check (I'm an idiot!) and blah blah blah, basically he mocked me constantly.

Every so often I would get a smart remark from Cory about my missing magazines, or that he gets all of his magazines monthly, where is mine? So I came to the resolution that when I die I can feel good about trying to help this man. AND I STAND BY THAT!



6 months later..... I got my Rachael Rae cooking magazine in the mail today! ha ha ha!!!

5 comments:

  1. Rach that is soooo funny!! I totally got caught up by one of those people! Except his whole thing was that he wanted to go on some cooking thing.. I can't remember, your guy sounds way better. I bought it and then like 2 minutes later realized that I was in college and i couldn't afford it... I went back and told him I changed my mind.. he was not happy to say the least! I'm glad that you got your magazine though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Just kidding, I, too, have fallen for the slick tacts of the traveling salesmen! And Brandon teases me all the time about it :) I'm really just not allowed to answer the door because I can't say no! hee hee. Glad you got your magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VINDICATION!!!!! Yes... However, I do think it was NOT the smartest thing to write the man a check. Cash and only cash are okay for this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave money to a kid like that, too!!! Same program! Only, I didn't buy a mag for myself but just donated a few dollars toward a subscription that would be donated to a children's program. I'm so glad you got your magazine, because I was seriously totally scared that I got dooped...and I've never told my husband about it because I was scared of what his reaction would be. Thank you for sharing your story so my mind could be put at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the same guy came to my door...I was ready to slam the door in his face. (We've had a lot of scams around our neighborhood) My husband came to the door and he bought not one magazine but FOUR!
    A few hours later he contacted the company and cancelled the whole thing. He did some research on the company and found that many people hadn't even gotten their magazines...

    Oh the joys of door to door salesman!

    ReplyDelete