Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Day 3 Ketchikan, Alaska

Our first actual stop was Ketchikan, Alaska. We had been told that it was cheaper to book excursion's once we came into port with the locals. We were so nervous that places would get sold out we were literally the very first people off the ship this morning, and we soon learned that these cruise line destinations have this whole thing figured out and will literally never run out of open excursions. 

But seriously, this little town was incredible! Almost the whole town is built on stilts. When we got off the boat it was overcast and a bit drizzly. 


 Ketchikan is also known for having the world's largest collection of standing totem poles. Everything there was so beautiful. 


The whole reason for Cory's desire to go to Alaska was to go fishing. We had the option of going deep sea halibut fishing, or king salmon fishing. We decided to do the kind salmon fishing. What we didn't realize, was that it was catch and release season. We couldn't even hold the fish for a picture before throwing it back. 

 Fun fact, there are star fish, jelly fish, and sea cucumbers all over Alaska. I dont know why this was so shocking to me. 

Our fishing excursion was SO COOL. We were literally there with two other people. The only thing that kind stunk about that was that it was a father and son and the son was a little hogsy on taking turns on the fishing. Basically we all sat there until one of the poles got a bite and then we were supposed to take turns on catching them. I could not believe how hard it was to reel these king salmon in. They fight the line and I seriously had to use all of my effort to get the thing in. Everyone kept trying to help me and I was bound and determined to do it myself.


 And there it is ladies and gentlemen! 25 lbs! I hear these suckers can get to be 74 lbs!!! We were definitely in the off season, but I seriously was so proud of myself and I know that I wouldn't have been able to reel in a 70 pounder.
 Watching Cory get his fish was the payday for me! He had so much fun. 

 We saw so many bald eagles. It literally seemed like seagulls to Utah. It was insane to see so many just flying around. We also got to see a HUGE tree with a HUGE eagles nest in it. Also, right off this tiny boat, I mean 20 yards away, we saw our first hump back whale! I was shocked! to see it spout and swim so close to us was just insane.  I mean jaw to the floor. While the guys kept fishing, in the rain, I went into the bow of the boat and looked out the windows and I was the only one who saw the whale dive and watch its tail sink in the water.

 Ketchikan is also known for Creek Street, which is actually a boardwalk mounted on stilts. This is also where you can watch the salmon swim up the creek. Again, we were there during off season, so we didn't see any of that. The locals say that along with all those fish come the fishy smell, so I was okay to miss out on that.

 Creek Street is also famous for Dolly's House! This was the first of MANY brothel museums in Alaska. Each one had actresses dressed as prostitutes calling us to come and see. It was seriously so funny!

 This sign was so awesome. The working girl has always had to be a little creative to make sure they could pay the bills!




We were told over and over that we were experiencing some of Alaska's warmest weather. It was beautiful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment